You qualify for a free NHS funded sight test at home if you are unable to get to an opticians unaccompanied and you meet one of the criteria below:
- you're aged under 16
- you're aged 16, 17 or 18 and are in full-time education
- you're aged 60 or over
- you're registered as partially sighted (sight impaired) or blind (severely sight impaired)
- you've been diagnosed with diabetes or glaucoma
- you're 40 or over, and your mother, father, brother, sister, son or daughter has been diagnosed with glaucoma
- you've been advised by an ophthalmologist (eye doctor) that you're at risk of glaucoma
- you're a prisoner on leave from prison
- you're eligible for an NHS complex lens voucher – we can advise you about your entitlement
- you receive Income Support
- you receive Income-based Jobseeker's Allowance (not Contribution-based)
- you receive Pension Credit Guarantee Credit
- you receive Income-based Employment and Support Allowance
- you are awarded Universal Credit
- you are entitled to, or named on, a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate
- you are named on a valid NHS certificate for full help with health costs (HC2)
Some reasons for having a home eye test
Dementia, Parkinsons, severe arthritis, multiple sclerosis, Huntington's. stroke, recent hospitalisiation, autism, learning disabilities, anxiety, agraphobia, plus many other physical and mental health conditions.
None funded NHS tests
If you normally get a free eye test due to one of the above reasons but you are able to get to a high street opticians, you can choose to have a home eye test but unfortunately the NHS will not fund it.
If you would still prefer to have an eye test at home then you will have to pay the private home eye test fee of £45. However, if you spend £99 or more on glasses then the eye test price is reduced to £25.
Hospital eye tests
If you normally get a free NHS test but you are in hospital then unfortunately the NHS won't fund it while you are in hospital.
If you still want an eye test we can do you a private one for a reduced cost of £25.
Alternatively if you just need new glasses because they are lost of broken and you have a valid prescription then we can come out for free to show you our range of frames to try on before ordering new ones.